Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson , better known by her stage name Katy Perry, is an American singer-songwriter and musician. Perry rose to fame in 2007 with her internet hit "Ur So Gay", and later scored in 2008 her breakthrough single "I Kissed a Girl".
Katy Perry's got this great glam-girl look going with her jet-black hair and painted red lips. Because she's young, there's a certain innocent air about her, but her straightforward demeanor and her sense of style make her seem equally grounded and confident.
At the age of 15, Perry's singing in church attracted the attention of rock veterans from Nashville, Tennessee, who brought her there to polish her writing skills. In Nashville, Perry started recording demos and was taught by country music veterans on how to craft songs and play guitar. Perry signed to the Christian music label Red Hill, under which she recorded her first album at the age of 15. Using her real name, Katy Hudson, she released the self-titled Gospel-rock album in 2001. The album was unsuccessful, however, after the label ceased. She later changed her surname to Perry, her mother's maiden name, because "Katy Hudson" was too close to film actress Kate Hudson. At the age of 17, Perry left her home for Los Angeles where she worked with Glen Ballard on an album for record label Island. The album was due for release in 2005, but Billboard reported it also went nowhere. Perry was dropped by Island Def Jam Music Group. Some of Perry and Ballard's collaborations included "Box", "Diamonds" and "Long Shot", were posted on her official MySpace page. "Simple", one of the songs she recorded with Ballard, was released on the soundtrack to the 2005 film The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
Perry signed to Columbia Records in 2004. However, the label was not amenable with her vision, not putting her in the "driver's seat". Instead, one of Columbia's ideas was to pair Perry with the record production team The Matrix, who was working on an album, to serve as its female vocalist. Although the album was later shelved, she caught the attention of the music press: Her burgeoning music career led to her being named "The Next Big Thing" in October 2004 by Blender magazine. With no album project ongoing, Perry began recording her own. Eighty percent completed, however, Columbia decided not to finish it and dropped her off the label.
While waiting to find another label, she worked in an independent A&R company called Taxi Music. In 2006, Perry was featured in the tail-end of the video to P.O.D.'s single "Goodbye for Now". She made a cameo appearance in Carbon Leaf's video, "Learn to Fly", and in Gym Class Heroes' video, "Cupid's Chokehold", playing the eventual love interest of lead singer Travis McCoy. Her songs eventually captured the attention of Virgin Records CEO Jason Flom, then head of Capitol Music Group, who signed her to Capitol Music in early 2007
After signing to Capitol Records, Perry began recording tracks for her official mainstream debut album, One of the Boys, and establishing her image was one of the immediate concerns of her management. A campaign was started in November 2007 with the release of the video to "Ur So Gay", aimed at introducing her to the music market. A digital EP led by "Ur So Gay" was later released to create online buzz. This was a successful move that resulted in bringing Perry to the attention of Madonna, who mentioned her on KISS FM and KRQ's JohnJay & Rich morning show in Arizona. On March 10, 2008, she appeared as herself on the ABC Family television series, Wildfire, on the episode "Life's Too Short".
While the buzz over Perry was building, she went on the next step of promoting the album, undergoing a two-month tour of radio stations. The album's official lead single, "I Kissed a Girl", was released on May 6, 2008. With the song climbing atop the charts, Perry embarked on the annual Warped Tour music festival, which her management used to "establish her as a credible performer and make sure she wasn't seen as just a one-hit wonder." The single was a commercial success, peaking at number one for seven weeks on the Billboard Hot 100. It has since become a major worldwide hit, topping charts in 30 countries, including Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom. On June 12, 2008, Perry appeared as herself on the daytime soap opera, The Young and the Restless, and poses for the cover to the June 2008 issue of the fictional magazine Restless Style.
One of the Boys was released on June 17, 2008 to mixed critical reviews. The album has reached number nine on the Billboard 200, and, as of February 2009, has sold over 800,000 copies in the United States. The album has been certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. Perry released her second single, "Hot N Cold", which became her second top three single in dozens of countries around the world, including the United States where it reached number three on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as topping the charts in Germany, Canada, and Denmark. After Perry wrapped up her appearance at the Warped Tour, she went on tours in Europe. She later launched her first headlining tour, the Hello Katy Tour, in January 2009. "I Kissed a Girl" earned Perry a nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at the 2009 Grammy Awards. Perry was nominated in five categories at the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards, including Best New Artist and Best Female Video, but lost to Britney Spears. She won Best New Act at the 2008 MTV Europe Music Awards, in which she co-hosted, and Best International Female Artist at the 2009 BRIT Awards. On February 9, 2009, both "I Kissed a Girl" and "Hot N Cold" were certified three-time platinum by Recording Industry Association of America for individual digital sales of over three million.
kate perry QUOTES
“I say what I think. I'm a real person, not some manufactured pop tart who's afraid to step out of the hotel room. I am flawed. I swear, I have the occasional cocktail, I pick my nose and I fart. I'm not running for any presidential campaign at the moment. I'm a sassy girl.”
"I got this Jesus tattoo on my wrist when I was 18 because I know that it's always going to be a part of me. When I'm playing, it's staring right back at me, saying, 'Remember where you came from.'"
"My personality is up and down, sassy and cheeky."
"I fall in love every time. And I don't really fall in love a lot, but when I do, I fall hard."
" My party time is usually a dinner party with friends. I couldn't give a f**k about going to clubs. I want to drink really good wine and really good beer, because I like really good wine and really good beer."
"I can drink eight beers and feel fine the next day. I usually drink dark beer because I hate hangovers, and I can't drink and work in the same schedule. "
"I'm really critical of my posture, it makes a big difference. And I try to suck my belly in. Everyone should do that whether you're on a red carpet or not. Even if you're just going out to dinner with your boyfriend you should try and suck it in."
1. The Ugly Truth (2009) (writer: "Hot N Cold") (performer: "Hot N Cold")
2. "America's Got Talent" (1 episode, 2009)
- Audition Show #1 (2009) TV episode (performer: "Hot N Cold" (uncredited))
3. The Proposal (2009) ("Hot & Cold")
4. "Glee" (1 episode, 2009)
- Pilot (2009) TV episode (writer: "I Kissed a Girl" (uncredited))
5. "90210" (3 episodes, 2008-2009)
- One Party Can Ruin Your Whole Summer (2009) TV episode ("Waking Up In Vegas" (uncredited))
- Hollywood Forever (2008) TV episode ("Hot N Cold" (uncredited))
- Lucky Strike (2008) TV episode ("If You Can Afford Me" (uncredited))
6. "The Inbetweeners" (1 episode, 2009)
- Work Experience (2009) TV episode (writer: "I Kissed A Girl") (performer: "I Kissed A Girl")
7. "20 to 1" (1 episode, 2009)
... aka "20 to 01" (Australia: promotional title)
- Adults Only 20 to 01: Saucy Songs (2009) TV episode (performer: "I Kissed A Girl") ("I Kissed A Girl")
8. "Ghost Whisperer" (1 episode, 2009)
- Slow Burn (2009) TV episode (performer: "Hot N Cold" (uncredited))
9. Premios Ondas 2008 (2008) (TV) (performer: "I Kissed a Girl")
1. Get Him to the Greek (2010) .... Herself
2. "Rove Live" .... Herself (1 episode, 2009)
- Episode #10.23 (2009) TV episode .... Herself
3. "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" .... Herself - Celebrity Contestant (1 episode, 2009)
- Episode #4.1 (2009) TV episode .... Herself - Celebrity Contestant
4. "Xposé" .... Herself (2 episodes, 2009)
- Episode #3.208 (2009) TV episode .... Herself
- Episode #3.111 (2009) TV episode .... Herself
5. Premiya Muz-TV 2009 (2009) (TV) (as Keti Perri) .... Herself - Special Guest Performer
... aka Премия Муз-ТВ 2009 (Russia)
... aka The Muz-TV Music Awards 2009 (International: English title: informal title)
6. "American Idol: The Search for a Superstar" .... Herself (1 episode, 2009)
... aka "American Idol 2" (USA: promotional title)
... aka "American Idol 3" (USA)
... aka "American Idol 4" (USA: fourth season title)
... aka "American Idol" (USA: new title)
- Live Results Show: One Contestant Eliminated (2009) TV episode .... Herself
7. Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards 2009 (2009) (TV) .... Herself
8. "Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show" .... Herself (2 episodes, 2008-2009)
... aka "The Ellen Show" (Australia)
- Episode dated 19 March 2009 (2009) TV episode .... Herself
- Episode dated 5 December 2008 (2008) TV episode .... Herself
9. "This Morning" .... Herself (1 episode, 2009)
... aka "This Morning with Richard and Judy" (UK: informal title)
- Episode dated 9 March 2009 (2009) TV episode .... Herself
10. "Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway" .... Herself - Performer (1 episode, 2009)
- Episode #9.3 (2009) TV episode .... Herself - Performer
11. The BRITs 2009 Red Carpet (2009) (TV) .... Herself
12. The 51st Annual Grammy Awards (2009) (TV) .... Herself - Performer
13. All Access Grammy Special (2009) (TV) .... Herself
14. 14th Annual Critics' Choice Awards Red Carpet Premiere (2009) (TV) .... Herself
15. The 14th Annual Critics' Choice Awards (2009) (TV) .... Herself - Presenter
Nickname: Katy Perry
Birthname: Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson
Hookups: Travis McCoy
Hometown: Santa Barbara, California
Assets: The most perfect rack, you will ever see, ever,nice ass. Pretty eyes, nice skin, long legs.
Vices: Never actually kissed a girl
Hobbies: Performing, swing dancing, jumping rope, thrift store shopping, fashion
Country of Origin: United States
Official Website : http://www.katyperry.com/
Style and image
Perry is known for her unconventional style of dress. Her style is often humorous, bright in color, and reminiscent of different decades, as well as her frequent use of fruit-shaped accessories, mainly watermelon, as part of her outfits. Her dark hair is signature to her look, but, as the music video to "Ur So Gay" shows, her hair is naturally blonde and she dyed her hair and eyebrows a darker color. Having learned dancing at an early age, she fancied about having her own style. Perry's transformation into an artist began with fashion, inspired by American film actress Dominique Swain's portrayal in 1997 film adaptation of the novel Lolita. She defines her fashion "a bit of a concoction of different things". Johnny Wujek, Perry's stylist, described her style, upon meeting her for the first time, as "very colorful and vintage". Her fashion has caught the attention of designers, who were giving her nearly as much attention as fans of her music