Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Anushka Sharma Hindi: अनुष्का शर्मा

Born May 1, 1988
Anushka Sharma Hindi: अनुष्का शर्मा is model and actress in the Bollywood film industry. In 2008, she played the female lead role in the Bollywood film Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, directed by Aditya Chopra, who earlier directed hits like Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) and Mohabbatein (2000).


"I can't see myself doing anything else [but modeling]."

"I am blessed with very good skin. I wash my face r
egularly. I drink lots of water and try to be happy."

"Once in a while I apply some refreshing Neem packs which detoxifies the skin."

"I'
m doing my majors in economics through correspondence because of the lack of time."

"I meet up with my friends; catch up on sleep. I love reading."
~ Anushka Sharma

Anushka Sharma was born to an army based family in Bangalore. Her father is a highly ranked Army Officer and her mother is a housewife. She has one elder brother named Karnesh who was a state-level cricketer and is now in the Merchant Navy. She studied in Army School and then excelled to achieve a graduation specialized in arts from Mount Carmel College, Bangalore. She is currently studying for a degree in economics at Mount Carmel, which she is completing through correspondence.

Right from a young age, Sharma wished to make it big in the glamor world.he was once quoted as saying "I can't see myself doing anything else." With moral support from her parents, a confident Anushka enrolled in the Elite Modeling Agency. She was groomed by renowned style consultant Prasad Bidapa, whom she met when she was just 15 years of age. Bidapa admits that Anushka always had the quality to be a star.

She was the find of internationally acclaimed Goan fashion designer Wendell Rodricks. He spotted her while she was moving around in a clothes showroom in Bangalore. Their chance meeting resulted in her moving to Mumbai. She began her modeling career at the Lakme Fashion Week and was a show-stopper at Wendell Rodricks Les Vamps Show. Within a year she became a sensational model in India, and was picked to be Wendell Rodricks's finale model at the Spring Summer '07 Collection. Since then the demure looking model has done campaigns for Silk & Shine, Whisper, Nathella Jewelry and Fiat Palio.

Through the Elite Modeling Agency, her pictures reached the casting directors of Aditya Chopra's Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and she was called in for an audition. After a few more auditions, she was officially cast for the female lead, Taani. On her portrayal of this character in her debut film, Anushka has been described by viewers as delivering a confident performance likened to that of a veteran actress and standing out even against her co-star, Shahrukh Khan.

She has stated that she currently has a contract to do two more movies with Yash Raj Films but is free to do films outside YRF to further her career if she wishes.

But was acting on your agenda, and even if it was, did you ever imagine such a dream break?
Though acting was not on my agenda as I come from a non-film family and my dad Colonel A K Sharma is in the armed forces, I had my options open. I had a few fixed principles, but I saw no reason why I should not take up the offer because it was a dream beginning for an actress. My parents supported me because the banner and the people behind it were reputed and my co-star was Shah Rukh Khan, though they naturally may have had apprehensions about a film career earlier.

But modelling can be done only up to a point. Had you not thought of that?
Honestly, that thought or any thought about stagnating had never crossed my mind. But I needed also to get the hang of making decisions about accepting or refusing something.

Were you selected just for your looks or was an audition done?
Of course I auditioned. That was the sequence where Shah Rukh Khan’s character meets me for the first time at my wedding and my screen father introduces us. But what Adi did not reveal was that it was a sequence that was to actually be a part of the film. Even my pictures went as per protocol — after the agency they went to the assistant director whom I met before Adi saw my photographs and met me.

Though a Punjabi, you have virtually lived all your life in Bangalore. How did you manage the authentic Punjabi characterisation?
Shah Rukh Khan says that in most cases, a new face is signed because he or she is closest to the character as envisioned by the director, and that’s how things fall into place. I think I agree with his view. Though I have never even been to interior Punjab or Amritsar and have not interacted much with people who live there, I am definitely a lot like Taani — I am very talkative, upfront about saying what is in my mind and have similar values. So I enjoyed performing Taani’s role.

what was the best compliment you got from anyone?
Well, that was the unsaid part of the compliment my father gave me — while watching me in the film he had tears in his eyes and that made me feel really happy that I could give this moment of pride to him!

Post “Rab Ne...”’s release, what is the scenario about offers?
There have been offers coming in, and though I have a three-film contract with Yash Raj Films, it is not exclusive. Adi will let me do any outside film that will further my career prospects but I will consult him on the outside offers and then I will make the best decision. Meanwhile I have to try and better my acting, my dancing and my diction.

So you are ambitious now?
Oh, I have always been ambitious!

what has your family to say about your work?
They are very happy. My brother, who is in the Merchant Navy said with amusement, “Not bad, yaar! You can act!”


2008 : Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi : Taani
Nominated, Star Screen Award for Most Promising Newcomer - Female
Nominated, Filmfare Best Female Debut Award
Nominated, Filmfare Best Actress Award

Name : Anushka Sharma
Height : 5'9"
Debut Film : Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
Birth Date: May 1, 1988
Birth Place: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Sex: Female
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Light Brown
Nationality: Indian
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Model and Actress
Languages: Hindi, English, Kannada
Education: Studying economics through correspondence
Relationship: Zoheb Yusuf [Indian model]

No comments:

Post a Comment